EZ TURBO CHARCOAL STOVE
Japanese style chicken and leek skewers with an amazing umami sauce are hard to resist! This simple recipe is great for cooking on the EZ Turbo Charcoal Stove using a barbecue grill.
You will need:
For the skewers
- 32 pieces of chicken cut in to 1-inch cubes (boneless thighs)
- 32 pieces of leek stalks or shallots 1-inch in length (white or light green part)
- 16 red bell pepper squares cut in to 1×1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to season
- 8 long skewers (bamboo or metal)
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp miso
- 2 tsp wasabi
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp water
- Chopped leak leaves (around a 3-inch piece from green part)
- 2 tbsp sunflower or corn oil
- Sesame seeds
- Leek ribbons
How to prepare:
- Soak the skewers in water for 15-minutes (if using bamboo skewers).
- Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to boil on medium heat, over the Stove. Reduce heat and simmer down to around 3/4 level. Divide the sauce: 1/3 for brushing; 2/3 for dipping.
- Assemble the chicken cubes, shallots/leek stalks and red bell pepper pieces on the skewers alternatively. Leave at least 1-inch on each end of the skewer. Each skewer would have 4 pieces of chicken, 4 pieces of leek stalks and 2 pieces of red bell peppers.
- Brush the assembled skewers (all sides) with the brushing sauce. Set aside.
- Prepare the grill on the Stove by brushing oil on the cold grill grates. Wipe off excess oil and heat the grill on high heat until it smokes and oil is burnt off.
- Place the chicken skewers on the hot grill for 1-minute on all sides.
- Reduce to medium heat. Repeat brushing with sauce and flip to char all sides, until chicken is done (internal 790 C).
- Careful not to over char the leeks and bell peppers.
- Take off the grill and brush with the sauce to avoid meat drying out.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and leek ribbons.
- Serve with the reserved dipping sauce and preferred sides. ENJOY!